It’s my birthday again!
(AKA the most important day in American History :))
I’m 23 today… it’s one of those ages you never imagine being. Like turning 37 or 48. It’s not an exciting or super significant birthday, but boy am I glad it’s here!
Around this time every July, I start getting a sense of what the theme of the year is going to be for me.
For 21 my theme was “Brave”, for 22 it was “New”, both of which turned out to be extremely accurate. When I was 21 I made the bravest decision of my life, and then at 22 I executed that decision and it changed everything.
I got a completely new life.
A new job, a new hobby, a new perspective, and most importantly, a new fire within myself.
Some changes though, were not so positive.
This past year, I lost someone incredibly dear to me for reasons I still cannot understand. And that changed me too.
All of the faith I had left after my bravery poured from my body, escaping with the tears. And without faith, all that mattered was surviving.
So I did that. I survived.
I replaced the faith with steel, with hardness, with pain, grit and swear words. 22 was the most unimaginably painful year of my life, but I made it.
I became a warrior.
Fighting always for myself.
I now know my fierceness.
And because I have known it, I respect myself as a veteran of war.
22 took something from me that cannot be replaced, but then it gave me something that can never be taken away.
And now, thinking about 23 all that comes to mind is the word “happy”.
This will be my year of contentment, of thankfulness, and of re-planting the faith that was so brutally beaten out of me.
With that being said, I’d still like to say a proper goodbye to the year that changed everything. So, here are Twenty-Two things I learned from year 22. May I remember them well!
1. Taylor Swift and Peanut Butter can’t fix EVERYTHING but they can fix MOST things.
2. When a heart breaks, it don’t break even.
3. Siblings are one of the greatest gifts that God gives.
4. Loyalty is not a two way street.
5. Doing brave things doesn’t mean you aren’t afraid.
6. Summer always comes again.
7. Being young isn’t easy, but neither is being old.
8. People are something to be experienced, worlds to be explored.
9. The Mom is the angel of the family.
10. It is better to be impractical than to give up on an aspiration.
11. You can be your subjective view of “perfect” and still fail and lose miserably.
12. Never give up on yourself.
13. Tattoos hurt.
14. Sometimes a year can’t fill a jar.
15. Dreams, relationships, and sanity are all incredibly fragile.
16. Stretching is actually super important.
17. Delivering pizza in the snowpocalypse does not guarantee amazing tips.
18. You’ve gotta fall apart in order to build yourself better.
19. Everyone has to choose whether or not love is worth the pain, but no one really knows what the right choice is. (Cuz let’s be honest, who cares what a guy with a name like “Alfred” says)
20. Healing is possible.
21. You are only a victim if you allow yourself to be.
22. Everything will be all right if we just keep dancin’ like we’re 22. ❤